www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Richard Meyer <rme...@befree.com>
Subject os-solaris/7159: Solaris bug that causes httpd to hang in sleeping state
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:20:14 GMT

>Number:         7159
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       Solaris bug that causes httpd to hang in sleeping state
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
I know that this is a Solaris bug, not Apache, but I figure my odds are better of getting
a work around for Apache. This may be the same problem described in PR number 3906, however
the solution proposed there does not work.
We are running Apache with mod_so, and without mod_perl.

When checking the server-status page we noticed several PIDs were sitting in a ..reading..
state with the SS column well past Apache's Timeout setting (30 seconds).
Srv PID   Acc     M   CPU  SS  Req Conn Child Slot Client VHost Request
3-0 15618 0/11/11 R  1.60 12185 3 0.0 0.03 0.03  ? ? ..reading..

When I truss this process I see : read(10, 0x000B1A88, 4096)      (sleeping...)

I've got Apache compiled with gcc's -g flag so I can trace the code in the debugger. Connecting
to the process I see that the code is in a system call (___lwp_cond_wait()).

On Solaris' web page I found a bug fix for this call, which may or may not fix the problem,
but in any case it requires a newer version of SunOS. Upgrading SunOS won't happen anytime
soon, so I'm hoping for an Apache work around.

I have tried the proposed solution in PR 3906, but the problem still exists.
>How-To-Repeat:
I can recreate this problem by telneting multiple times to httpd daemon on Port 80.
eg : telnet devfe01.machine.com 80 &
I throw it into the background so I can fire of 10 or so at a time.

If I don't issue any further commands on these telnet sessions, /server-status shows the process
in the R state. Most of this will correctly be timed out at 30 seconds. Some will stay indefinitely.
It sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get the processes to hang.