www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bob Stewart <rmste...@ix.netcom.com>
Subject general/7041: CGI Scripts wont always run
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 23:47:25 GMT

>Number:         7041
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       CGI Scripts wont always run
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Hi
I recently installed Apache 1.3.14(win32) on my Intel PC under Windows 95.
I have had mixed results running CGI scripts;. Some run, some dont. for example,
I copied a number of  batch files from books and  online sources to cgi-bin and
 ran it from the DOS prompt . It worked OK. But, When I tried to run the batch
 file from my browser ( Netscape 4) nothing happened. I didnt get an error
message, but I didnt get output either. The statusline message at the bottom of
 the screen was "local
host contacted. Waiting for reply" . On the other hand I downloaded some  sample
programs (envvir.exe and pagequery.exe from www.prenhall.com/zeid) from some
websites and they run fine.

I have had the same problem with other CGI scripts, both DOS batch files and
compiled programs (written in  C++ and Fortran!). They are all very simple programs
that run correctly from DOS or Windows, but wont produce output when called fro a browser.
Is there something about the way that I am compiling them that makes a difference?
It seems that any program that has the content-type statement should work,
or is there something else that is needed?

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Bob Stewart
>How-To-Repeat:
Here is a copy of a file that wont run

@echo off

   echo Content-type: text/plain
   echo.

   echo CGI/1.0 test script report:
   echo.

   rem echo argc is %0
   echo argv is %0
   echo.

   echo SERVER_SOFTWARE = %SERVER_SOFTWARE%
   echo SERVER_NAME = %SERVER_NAME%
   echo GATEWAY_INTERFACE = %GATEWAY_INTERFACE%
   echo SERVER_PROTOCOL = %SERVER_PROTOCOL%
   echo SERVER_PORT = %SERVER_PORT%
   echo REQUEST_METHOD = %REQUEST_METHOD%
   echo HTTP_ACCEPT = "%HTTP_ACCEPT%"
   echo PATH_INFO = "%PATH_INFO%"
   echo PATH_TRANSLATED = "%PATH_TRANSLATED%"
   echo SCRIPT_NAME = "%SCRIPT_NAME%"
   echo QUERY_STRING = "%QUERY_STRING%"
   echo REMOTE_HOST = %REMOTE_HOST%
   echo REMOTE_ADDR = %REMOTE_ADDR%