www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: apache-api/7026: ap_get_server_port doesn't return the real listening port number
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR apache-api/7026; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To: apbugs@apache.org, Koga Youichirou <y-koga@apache.or.jp>
Subject: Re: apache-api/7026: ap_get_server_port doesn't return the real listening port number
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:14:21 +0000

 Koga Youichirou <y-koga@apache.or.jp> wrote:
 > fanf@apache.org:
 > > State-Changed-Why:
 > > This is probably because you have a Port directive that
 > > disagrees with your Listen directive and you have
 > > UseCanonicalName On. Please review the documentation for
 > > those directives. Thanks for using Apache.
 >
 > I see, but your reply is about the result of some directives.
 > I've reported about the API function.

 Yes, because these directioves control the behaviour of the API
 function. Wherever Apache needs to know its own port number it calls
 that function, so that the sysadmin can control what port number is
 returned.

 Think of situations where there is some load-balancing device in front
 of the server that accepts connections on port 80 and forwards them to
 the server running on port 8080. To the external world Apache appears
 to be running on port 80, so when it creates self-referential URLs it
 must use that port number, not the port 8080 that it gets from
 getsockname().

 > This seems to say that the ap_get_server_port returns the *actual*
 > listening TCP port number, but it always doesn't do so. I think there
 > is a bug about documentation, implementation, or design.

 Documentation bug.

 Tony.
 --
 f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
 " ``Well, let's go down and find out who's grave it is.''