www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Frog-Admin <Frog-Ad...@nym.alias.net>
Subject config/6993: Default index file is not served (Bug <> from PR number 1266
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:38:01 GMT

>Number:         6993
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Default index file is not served (Bug <> from PR number 1266
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>How-To-Repeat:
See above (problem fixed by workaround)
>Fix:
See above (workaround / not fix)
Should put you on the track for an authentic fix
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:

 >>When a user keys:
 >>  http://www.privacyresources.org/frogadmin/
 >>  http://www.chez.com/frogadmin/
 >>  http://members.xoom.com/frogadmin/
 >>the url gets automatically suffixed with index.html
 >>
 >>I would like to achieve the same, but I don't see which part of the config
 >>allows that
 >>(or what I did which prohibited it / I did not do much...)
 >>
 >>Will you help me about that?
 >
 >I can't speak too much to Apache for Windoze, but the config should be the
 >same. Here's the appropriate section of the httpd.conf that allow you to
 >designate the initial page to be displayed. Just find the same section in
 >your httpd.conf, and add or uncomment (remove the #) the line 'Directory
 >index index.html index.htm'.
 >
 ># DirectoryIndex: Name of the file or files to use as a pre-written HTML
 ># directory index.  Separate multiple entries with spaces.
 >#
 >DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm
 >
 >Using the entry above, the browser will search for index.html first, then
 >index.htm but you could make the page anything you want. We have servers
 >that point to a php page, and Apache doesn't care.

 I found a workaround / I think I stepped on an authentic bug
 The problem aroused with
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/
 not being suffixed as
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/index.html
 But *not* with
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/DownLoadsX
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/Trash
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/Sonrisas
 which were properly suffixed as
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/DownLoadsX/index.html
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/Trash/index.html
     http://frogadmin.yi.org/Sonrisas/index.html

 Actually, my documents are stored in a place whose windows name is
      D:\~Privacy\Reliable\MyStats
 aka  P:\Reliable\Mystats
 aka  Y:\
 In my autoexec.bat, I use the SUBST instructions:
 SUBST P: D:\~Privacy
 SUBST Y: D:\~Privacy\Reliable\MyStats

 Apache just does not like the documents to be stored in a root directory
 Faulty statements were
 DocumentRoot "Y:"
 <Directory "Y:">

 Everything works fine when I replace them with
 DocumentRoot "P:/Reliable/MyStats"
 <Directory "P:/Reliable/MyStats">

 BOTTOM LINE:
 there is a bug
 Apache does not make the suffixing if the documents are stored in a root directory
 BTW:
 Commenting out or leaving active the "DirectoryIndex" statement:
 DirectoryIndex index.html
 was of no importance with my files
 In both cases, Apache performs the suffixing with index.html