www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Doug Baber <douglas...@yahoo.com>
Subject config/6959: User directive must come before VirtualHost directive when specifying a named virtual host
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 04:37:54 GMT

>Number:         6959
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       User directive must come before VirtualHost directive when specifying
a named virtual host
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
Linux angi 2.2.14-15mdk #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20 CET 2000 i586 unknown

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-linux
When configuring a named virtual host, the User directive must be specified before the VirtualHost
directive, or a User directive must be included within the VirtualHost directive.  I was configuring
a virtual named virtual host.  The host served web pages fine, but had a problem when executing
a perl cgi script.  The error messages below is what was generated in the ScriptLog.

%stderr
[Mon Dec 11 21:47:12 2000] [error] [client 192.168.1.2] (2)No such file or directory: getpwuid:
invalid userid -1
[Mon Dec 11 21:47:12 2000] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of /home/httpd/jec/dev/cgi-bin/test.pl
failed

The getpwuid error seemed to indicate that it couldn't find the user name in the /etc/passwd
file.  I'm assuming it was trying to use a null user name to run the CGI program.  Once I
moved the User directive above the VirtualHost directive, it knew which user to run the CGI
script as, and it worked fine.  It also worked when I left the User directive after the VirtualHost
directive, but put a User entry within the VirtualHost section.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up an httpd.conf file with the above scenario and run the test.pl script that comes with
Apache.
>Fix:
Add information to the documentation about this issue.