www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: apache-api/6885: PATH_TRANSLATED generation produces garbage in error_log
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:50:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR apache-api/6885; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To: apbugs@apache.org, webmaster@link-m.de
Subject: Re: apache-api/6885: PATH_TRANSLATED generation produces garbage in error_log
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:48:40 +0000

 Philipp Rotmann <webmaster@link-m.de> wrote:

 >Linux 2.2.17 #1 Mit Nov 15 13:38:42 CET 2000 i586 unknown w/ apache
 >1.3.9 compiled by gcc; in newer apache releases' CHANGES files I
 >couldn't find anything related to the bug as described below, so I
 >haven't upgraded first.

 Did you try with older versions to verify that this behaviour was
 introduced in 1.3.9?

 >When apache encounters an URI such as
 >/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi/path/to/template.html it issues a subrequest to
 >itself in order to get PATH_TRANSLATED. In combination with access
 >restrictions on the file "/path/to/template.html" (e.g. a FilesMatch
 >block anywhere in the server configuration), this behaviour leads to
 >lots of unwanted error_log messages, as every access to the script is
 >logged as a failed access to the raw template file.

 I think this is a misfeature rather than a bug, since it would be hard
 to fix -- there isn't a single location in the code where Apache could
 decide not to log access control errors because this is a subrequest
 or whatever; to the contrary, the logging is scattered all over the
 place.

 I'm also not convinced that this is a big problem in practice.

 Tony.
 --
 f.a.n.finch     dot@dotat.at     fanf@covalent.net     Chad for President!