www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ricardo Signes <petroko...@yahoo.com>
Subject general/6892: apache drops port number on URL rewrite despite UseCanonicalName = Off
Date Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:55:20 GMT

>Number:         6892
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apache drops port number on URL rewrite despite UseCanonicalName = Off
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a LAN in which one machine is connected to world via DSL; it masquerades for the machines
behind it.  Both this machine (pete) and a machine behind its fw (ignatius) run apache.  Pete
port forwards pete:8080 to ignatius:80 so I can access ignatius' httpd when at work.  I disabled
UseCanonicalName, to prevent the 8080 from being dropped and to prevent rpg-theory.org from
being replaced with ignatius.rpg-theory.org

This works fine, except for the following case:
  while http://rpg-theory.org:8080/~samael/  works,
  http://rpg-theory.org:8080/~samael does not
(note the lack of trailing / on the broken URL)

In the latter case, the port number is dropped and all manner of browser (lynx, MSIE, NS4-6,
Opera) attempt to retrieve http://rpg-theory.org/~samael/

I understand that the / is required by spec, but tradition allows it to be dropped.  This
seems to be a problem with the implementation of UseCanonicalName, perhaps?
>How-To-Repeat:
URLs included in description.