www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "T.Pospisek's MailLists" <t...@spin.ch>
Subject Re: config/6634: ServerAlias behaves strangely
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:46:18 GMT
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Joshua Slive wrote:

> Your problem report was about a basic configuration issue which would be
> better dealt with in the newsgroup or another forum.  It is not a bug as
> far as I can see. There is significance in the order of VirtualHost
> blocks as per the design and documentation.
>
> If I missed something, could you please clarify exactly what the bug is
> with the simplest possible example, and I will be glad to reopen the bug
> report.

OK, have a look at the example I have provided in the bugreport and then
try to explain why when I access

	http://www.sourcepole.ch

I get

	index.xml

instead of

	index.d.xml

Again, interpreted in plain language the configuration file says:

There is a virtual host at 194.6.185.192. It's name is sourcepole.ch. All
other names that end in sourcepole.ch are also handled by this virtual
server. When a directory access happens, the index files that the server
should try to deliver are: index.d.xml first then if not found index.xml
then index.html.

Mind you, that the config docu states that DirectoryIndex can be used
*inside* a VirtualHost definition in the same way that it says that
about ServerAlias. But this is *not* the case. If I access
*whatever*.sourcepole.ch then index.d.xml will *not* be served, as it
*should*.

The other config is a *workaround*, which doesn't change the fact that the
not-functioning of the first config is IMHO a *bug*.

Thanks for your patience,
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch