www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Frank Gadegast <ph...@www.powerweb.de>
Subject Re: general/4015: not enough file descriptors
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:50:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/4015; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Frank Gadegast <phade@www.powerweb.de>
To: slive@apache.org
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/4015: not enough file descriptors
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 14:46:26 +0100 (MET)

 > [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
 > [to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
 > [subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
 > [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
 > ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
 > [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
 > ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
 > [the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
 > [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 > [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
 > [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]
 >

 > Synopsis: not enough file descriptors
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: feedback-closed
 > State-Changed-By: slive
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Oct 30 19:03:22 PST 2000
 > State-Changed-Why:
 > [This is a standard response.]
 > No response from submitter, assuming issue has been resolved.

 Got no mail, so I couldnt response, the problem still
 exists in all versions of Apache (even 2.x).

 because it keeps seperate logfiles open, instead of
 opening them when needed (and maybe caching some
 filehandles) it impossible to have more then roughly
 130 virtual domains running on the same machine.

 A caching mechanism for open file handles would
 be the best. Lets see I allow 40 Handles to be open,
 apache counts the requests and keeps thos log open
 with where the most busy during the last 10 Minutes
 or so, if they are not busy, its opening and
 closing the files like needed.

 Whats about that ?

 Kind regards, Frank Gadegast
 --