www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Joon Lee <j...@xinet.com>
Subject general/6744: REMOTE_USER no longer defined when user attempts to authenticate into a realm
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:25:15 GMT

>Number:         6744
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       REMOTE_USER no longer defined when user attempts to authenticate into
a realm
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is change from 1.3.12.

Some of our CGI's depend on being able to determine the name of the user attempting to log
in to a realm defined in the conf file. (We do some of our own authentication)

Previously, we could call: getenv("REMOTE_USER") to determine the name of the user. but since
installing 1.3.14 the value returned is NULL.

Feature?
>How-To-Repeat:
The following defines the Realm in the conf file:

# WebNative cgi directory
<Directory C:\PROGRA~1\Xinet\WEBNAT~1\bin>
AllowOverride None
AuthType Basic
AuthName WebNative
require valid-user
AuthUserFile C:\PROGRA~1\Xinet\WEBNAT~1\Admin\apache.userfile
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

When the user attempts to access a file in the directory the browser's authentication dialog
comes up and the user types in the name and password.

The cgi used to be able to extract the user name from the REMOTE_USER variable but not after
installing 1.3.14.
>Fix:
What changed between 1.3.12 & 1.3.14?