www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Thorsten Bschorr <thors...@isb-online.de>
Subject general/6740: memory leakage on kill -USR1 and -HUP
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:21:37 GMT

>Number:         6740
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       memory leakage on kill -USR1 and -HUP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
A fresh startet apache shows this memory usage:

isb:~ # cat /proc/`cat /var/run/httpd.pid`/status | grep Vm
VmSize:    20144 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     17036 kB
VmData:    12328 kB
VmStk:        48 kB
VmExe:       296 kB
VmLib:      6800 kB

now reloading configuration ...

isb:~ # kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid `

... and checking the memory usage again:

isb:~ # cat /proc/`cat /var/run/httpd.pid`/status | grep Vm
VmSize:    22420 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmRSS:     19312 kB
VmData:    14604 kB
VmStk:        48 kB
VmExe:       296 kB
VmLib:      6800 kB

2Ups. On reloading the apache configuration more than 2 megabyte of memory leak.
On another machine (running SuSE 6.2) the amout of wasted memory on -USR1 oder -HUP
ist smaller, but not zero.
Without included mod_perl 1.24 the memory-leakage ist only about 100 k (depending
on the other modules loaded), but it's still there. It looks to me that this is
an general issue.
I haven't access to anther server running apache on an non-SuSE-linux system and
I therefore can't say if it's probably a SuSE-specific problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
See description.
>Fix:
No.