www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Stephen Brandon <step...@pyrusmalus.com>
Subject general/6723: "root" apache process dies, leaving child processes running though impotent.
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:10:36 GMT

>Number:         6723
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       "root" apache process dies, leaving child processes running though impotent.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This problem occurs randomly. The child processes do not appear able to service requests.

I have tried re-compiling 1.3.12, and have also tried 1.3.14 on the 1.02 box. This did not
affect the frequency of crashes. Yet to try 1.3.14 on the main production box, but I am wary
of doing this since it didn't help on the other box.

On the MOSX1.02 box, it can happen several times a day, on a machine which is not serving
much but is a development machine. On our main production server (MOSX1.2, WO4.5PR2) this
occurs randomly about once a week. Does not appear to be necessarily load related -- WebObjects
complains about load without apache falling over.
The "root" apache process dies, silently. There is nothing written to /var/log/system.log
or any other apache log that I can see. In order to restart apache I have to manually kill
the child processes individually (via script!) - otherwise apachectl tries to start apache
without doing this, and apache barfs as it sees the child processes still sitting there.