www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Petter "Mhln" <petter.mah...@chello.se>
Subject mod_jserv/6719: NullPointerException when requesting classes not in the CLASSPATH
Date Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:01:08 GMT

>Number:         6719
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       NullPointerException when requesting classes not in the CLASSPATH
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have a servlet that creates a helper class (QueryResponse) to analyse the body of a POST
request. That body is an XML document, so I have been using Sun's Jaxp reference implementation
to parse the reqest. In the jserv.properties (wrapper.classpath) file, the path to the Jaxp
implementation was incorrect (a space too much). The following call caused a NullPointerException
to be thrown:

QueryReport qr = new QueryReport(param1, param2);

It's an error on my side, but the error reporting should be improved.
>How-To-Repeat:
See above
>Fix:
A couple of things would be good:
- first, when loading the jserv.properties file, verify that each classpath is an existing
directory (in wrapper_config_classpath(), I guess)
- second, if there is a run-time error, throw an exception that gives more information. I
haven't looked for where this should happen.