www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <f...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_status/6707: Wrong vhost in server-status when using VirtualDocumentRoot or Rewrite
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:50:03 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_status/6707; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tony Finch <fanf@apache.org>
To: Benoit Artuso <apache@maggie.proxad.net>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: mod_status/6707: Wrong vhost in server-status when using VirtualDocumentRoot
or Rewrite
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:58:01 +0000

 Benoit Artuso <apache@maggie.proxad.net> wrote:

 >so if i understand well the apache code, there is no way to access the
 >request_rec by looking in the scoreboard without involving same black magic.

 You can't do it at all because the request_rec is unique to the child
 process that is handling the request, wheras the server_rec is shared.
 Therefore pointers to the server_rec in the scoreboard are globally
 valid, but the same is not the case for the request_rec.

 >The only way i can think is to alter the the short_score structure and add
 >something that permits to retrieve the good information. In some way, i
 >think it's exactly what you means in 'reverting a performance optimisation'

 Yes. In the past the server name from the request_rec was copied into
 the scoreboard; now we just put the server_rec pointer in there.

 >I understand you have to keep the short score as little as possible but
 >could we imagine replacing the pointer to the server_rec struct by a pointer
 >to the request_rec.

 No, for the reasons above.

 >I don't know enough the internals of Apache to choose The Right Way (TM) so
 >i think i will try to revert your performance optim and give it a try.

 Yes, have a look at the revision history for details.
 <http://www.apache.org/websrc/cvsweb.cgi/apache-1.3>

 >The reason behind 'having the good hostname in the scoreboard' is that i
 >want a way to count how many servers are serving the same hostname in a very
 >large environnement and, perhaps, adapting some module to limit the max
 >servers for one hostname.
 >
 >Anyway, will this be fixed in 2.0 version ?

 Possibly. The scoreboard stuff has been rewriten, and I haven't looked
 at it yet to see what the issues are.

 Tony.
 --
 en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch