www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Elodie Sautreuil <e.sautre...@syrinx.fr>
Subject config/6701: CGI open of tmpfile: No such file or directory (Internal Server Error 500)
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:48:39 GMT

>Number:         6701
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       CGI open of tmpfile: No such file or directory (Internal Server Error
500)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm not used in configuring Apache Server and have some problems to
understand all the issues in the documentation.
I searched the faq, the bug database and found nothing (or didn't understood).
I searched the deja.com and found a question that reported the same problem
but it had no answer (it was asked more than 3 months ago).

Here is the problem ...

I installed Apache 1.3 on 2 computers :

- A. Windows 95
     I didn't change the defaults in httpd.conf :
     DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs"
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/cgi-bin/"
 Everything works well (as well as on the unix server of our provider)

- B. Windows 98
     I changed the defaults to :
     DocumentRoot "I:/"
     <Directory "I:/">
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
         AllowOverride None
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Directory>
     ScriptAlias /syrinx/cgi-bin/ "I:/Syrinx/cgi-bin/"
     <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/cgi-bin">
         AllowOverride None
         Options None
     </Directory>

I get an error on computer B when a user chooses a file to be sent in
an html form using POST method at the moment he clicks on submit.
If the user doesn't choose a file in the same html form,
there is no problem.

The error reported in the scriptlog file is the following :
%% [Tue Oct 17 14:35:55 2000] POST /syrinx/cgi-bin/myscript.pl HTTP/1.1
%% 500 i:/syrinx/cgi-bin/myscript.pl
%request
Accept: application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, */*
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

-----------------------------7d04637f9c Content-Disposition: form-data; name="cmd"  insert
-----------------------------7d04637f9c Content-Disposition: form-data; name="dbfile"  mydir/mydb
-----------------------------7d04637f9c Content-Disposition: form-data; name="tmpl"  mydir/myhtml.html
-----------------------------7d04637f9c Content-Disposition: form-data; name="id"   -----------------------------7d04637f9c
%response
%stderr
CGI open of tmpfile: No such file or directory

Apache is running on c:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/
The server html documents and cgi scripts are on another computer mapped through the I: network
connector.

It's perhaps very simple to fix.
It could just be that I actually do not understand things.
But, please could you help.
Our development team is using the Apache Server of computer B and
its tests are critically limited.
(computer A cannot be used because it is alone in another town).
>How-To-Repeat:
The IP address involved is a private one used internally by
our development team. I could communicate it to someone of
your staff if given an email address.

Otherwise, you could :
- use the default httpd.conf,
- change the DocumentRoot to some network connector (ex: I:/)
- change the ScriptAlias (ex: I:/cgi-bin/)
- at the location mapped through the network connector, place :
  - a cgi-bin directory and a script dealing with uploads in it
  - an html form using POST method with a <input type="file" ...> tag
- try to send a file
>Fix:
no