www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From simon <postit...@hotmail.com>
Subject mod_jserv/6675: Apache httpd.conf not modifed for Jserv during install of Jserv and a possible documentation error
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:11:24 GMT

>Number:         6675
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Apache httpd.conf not modifed for Jserv during install of Jserv and a
possible documentation error
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I /have/ searched the bug database, but can't find anything just like this problem - my apologies
if I've missed one. If I can provide any setup information that would help resolve this, then
please email me.
I selected "serious" as I could not get Jserv to run. If the docs problem is resolved thaen
I'd have chosen "non-critical" as there is a workaround.

First, I loaded Apache HTTP server v1.3.12 as a win32 binary.
Its running on both win2000 and win98 SE. There were a couple of quirks, but all were resolved
by reading ApacheWeek.com

I decided to load Jserv 1.1.2 and downloaded the binary. After reading the Install documentation,
I ran the install and gave paths to the JRE, JSDK and Apache httpd.conf (I accepted its offer
to modify the Apache httpd.conf for Jserv). I did note, as I took a copy before running Jserv
install, that the installer made NO alterations to the Apache httpd.conf. I know I gave the
correct path as on the second attempt at installation, I deliberately gave a false path and
received an appropriate error dialog.

Accordingly I was not particularly surprised when Jserv did not run. I read the docs folder
and found the file
"howto.win32_install.html". In here, it quotes several modifications to make to the Apache
HTTPD.conf. I made those and then Apache would not start up. I did run "Apache -T" to check
the httpd syntax and it checked OK. The error on starting was too fast to see before the window
closed. I also tried this process under win2000 as a service and just got a generic "failed
to start" message in the event viewer. There was no significant information in the logs of
either Apache or Jserv. All were either empty or contained information prior to the last

I quote the "How To ... Win32 " file (section "Installing the web server module")

  The first thing to do is to uncomment the loadmodule directive to let Apache know about
the new module

  # Tell Apache on win32 to load the Apache JServ communication module
  LoadModule jserv_module modules/ApacheModuleJServ.dll

  After this, you should specify the servlet engine configuration file (usually jserv.properties)
and the module log   file with the directives

  ApJServProperties <full path to ./conf/jserv.properties>
  ApJServLogFile <full path to ./logs/jserv.module.log>

(At the time I did notice that these lines were in Jserv's jserv.conf as standard)

I could not get this to work at all, and in desperation put a question on Experts Exchange,
where a very helpful guy said that all I needed to do was add

Include " <path to Jserv>\conf\Jserv.conf" into the Apache Httpd.conf

He was absolutely right. It works perfectly.

Therefore I contend that:

1) there is a problem with the Jserv windows installer in that in certain circumstances it
does not modify the Apache http.conf as it promises to do.

2) there is a significant error in the HowTo Win32 document as described above.

Apart from that, Apache and Jserv is a great tool!

>How-To-Repeat:
just install Apahe 1.3.12 and Jserv 1.1.2 on win98 SE
>Fix:
If you agree that this is a problem, by changing the doc file mentioned.