www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Todd Vierling ...@pobox.com>
Subject config/6645: nonexistent files warn with too high of severity level
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:17:16 GMT

>Number:         6645
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       nonexistent files warn with too high of severity level
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a host running several personal pages, made by people who aren't too bright wrt HTML.
 They find their problems in their HTML and fix them over time--typically, forgotten or misspelled
inline images--but I get floods of "File does not exist" errors in the server error_log.
>How-To-Repeat:
Load up a file that doesn't exist; witness 404 error _and_ entry in error_log.
>Fix:
A missing file is a relatively common occurrence and very easy to spot.  Logging it at APLOG_ERR
(http_core.c:3094) is a very high severity, and has prompted me to set my LogLevel to "crit"
to avoid these messages--something that seems rather blinding for a common message.

I'd like to suggest that this error be demoted to the "info" level, as the obviousness of
a missing file is likely far less important than the example for "notice", one level higher,
given in the documentation for LogLevel:
        "httpd: caught SIGBUS, attempting to dump core in ..."