www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Thierry Gandilhon <gandil...@matranet.com>
Subject general/6618: apxs runtime error: breaks compilation line into 2 parts and aborts when trying to execute the end (second) part ot the compilation line
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:37:11 GMT

>Number:         6618
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       apxs runtime error: breaks compilation line into 2 parts and aborts when
trying to execute the end (second) part ot the compilation line
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I try to compile the mod_hello.c module as described in the book 'writing apache modules with
Perl and C' (O'Reilly).
I use the apxs command to compile the module :
$ /usr/local/bin/apache/apxs -c mod_hello.c
I get an error message :
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=16711680

What happened ? In fact to compile the .c file, the apxs perl application generates a very
long line to call gcc :

'gcc -DLINUX=2 [...etc...] -o mod_hello.so mod_hello.o'

Unfortunatelly, this line is executed in two parts (does it contains a \n?)
First part is from 'gcc -D' to '-o mod_hello.o' (not included) which is fine, the compilation
is done. But the second part is just made of '-o mod_hello.so mod_hello.o' which is not very
friendly for the shell :-(. So an error occurs and apxs returns with an error.

This bug has been entered twice in gnats as PR #6423 and #6465 (AUG 17 and 25, 2000).
>How-To-Repeat:
Just try
$ /usr/local/bin/apache/apxs -c mod_hello.c
with any kind of .c file
>Fix:
Hack through the apxs perl code. I tried to, but without success.

Good luck !