www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From <apache_s...@paddedcell.com>
Subject general/6583: Contribution to FAQ
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:43:37 GMT

>Number:         6583
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Contribution to FAQ
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The FAQ item below solved my problem, and the distribution was RedHat 6.2.
Hope this helps.

15.Why do I get a "Forbidden/You don't have permission to access / on this server" message
whenever I try to
       access my server?

       Search your conf/httpd.conf file for this exact string (not including the quotation
marks): "<Files ~>". If you find it, that's
       your problem -- that particular <Files> container is malformed. Delete it or
comment it out and restart your server and things
       should work as expected.

       This problem appears to be caused by an error in a repackaged version of Apache distributed
by some vendor or other; we
       haven't determined the details yet.