www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Milliken <Milli...@IEEE.org>
Subject mod_alias/6559: Utilization of mod_alias has created some unexpected results
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:26:55 GMT

>Number:         6559
>Category:       mod_alias
>Synopsis:       Utilization of mod_alias has created some unexpected results
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
Operating System - FreeBSD - Release Version 5.0 for Intel Based Processors

Version of Apache was included with the FreeBSD package
Created an alias for directory /export/home/http/OCS/htdocs/MUVE as /muve/

Document Home is /usr/local/www/data (installation default)

When I attempt to access this directory with

http://150.137.19.56/muve/

I get a directory listing that lists the html file index.html.  Clicking on this file I get
a URL not found failure from a client browser.

Accessing the site as

http://150.137.19.56/ results in an index.html page showing up.

Accessing the site as

http://150.137.19.56/icons/ also results in an index.html page showing up (copied it there).

I hand copied the /icons/ alias for my /muve/ alias.  Checked all the permissions and such
over and over again but still will not allow.  Added a <directory> statement just like
the /icons/ alias and that resulted in displaying the directory for /muve/.  When I take the
<diretory> statement out, I get a Forbidden client result.

Got any ideas??
I get
>How-To-Repeat:
Goto http://150.137.19.56/ and you will get the regular index.html

Goto http://150.137.19.56/muve/ and you will get the directory with an index.html in it that
won't load?

Goto http://150.137.19.56/icons/ and you will get the index.html again (as I copied it there)
which I copied and pasted in the httpd.conf file to make the alias /muve/

Weird hunh??  I need the directory for a program to be redirected as /muve/ since the code
is based on this directory.
>Fix:
Tried making another alias under the ServerRoot and that did the same thing.  It is http://150.137.19.56/mine/
that is /urs/local/www/mine and also had a directory statement on this one.  I must be missing
something small to have this problem every time.