www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Cott Lang <c...@internetstaff.com>
Subject general/6551: Hostnames with underscore produce "Client sent malformed Host header"
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:43:16 GMT

>Number:         6551
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Hostnames with underscore produce "Client sent malformed Host header"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Guys, this has been reported many times (5720, 5722, 5736, 5821..etc). The
official response was that an underscore isn't officially recognized as a
valid character in a hostname (see PR #5821)

That's nice. However, rather than getting into a pissing contest, can we not
just agree that the developer making the modification in 1.3.11 WAS "technically
correct" so as not to hurt his feelings (that's the only reason I can figure
this wasn't just fixed), and then move on?

This REDUCED functionality in Apache, SEVERELY in my case where I host 500,000
virtual hosts - probably 1% of which have underscores in them. DNS resolves names
with underscores just fine; why in the world would we destroy the functionality
to serve some virtual hosts just in the name of being technically correct?

I would expect this kind of answer from Netscape or Microsoft; I'm completely
stunned to see this kind of response from Apache after having submitted many
bug reports and several patches to Apache Jserv over the last couple of years -
some dealing with issues that were "technically correct!"

It's a ONE LINE FIX and makes Apache a more robust solution. Why NOT do it?
>How-To-Repeat:
Try to use a virtual host with an underscore.
>Fix:
change line 673 in http_vhost.c
from:
        if (!ap_isalnum(*src) && *src != '.' && *src != '-') {
to:
        if (!ap_isalnum(*src) && *src != '.' && *src != '-' && *src
!= '_') {