www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Mitch \(eConquest\)" <mi...@econquest.com>
Subject RE: mod_userdir/6031: changes to UserDir permissions require restart to take effect
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_userdir/6031; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Mitch \(eConquest\)" <mitch@econquest.com>
To: <slive@apache.org>
Cc: <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: RE: mod_userdir/6031: changes to UserDir permissions require restart to take effect
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:11:10 -0700

 I'm VERY careful about these things...

 Could there be difference caused by different platforms etc? At the time I
 was using Mandrake 6.1 - I don't have that around any more but I can attempt
 to verify again on my current systems.

 Again for clarity, say userdir was:

 drwx------ mike
 with or course a "public_html" under it with the same permissions, then the
 first attempt to access would of course be denied.

 Changing permissions to:
 drwxr-xr-x mike
 and of course to the sub-dir public_html DID NOT make them immediately
 accessible.

 Restarting the server did.

 Is there some kind of caching mechanism which would "remember" that the
 directory was unavailable? Or could that have been an OS "feature"?

 Thanks,

 Mitch