www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ron Murray <r...@bigfoot.com>
Subject protocol/6516: Absolute URIs in a HTTP/1.0 request ignore supplied host
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:28:16 GMT

>Number:         6516
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       Absolute URIs in a HTTP/1.0 request ignore supplied host
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
   If an absolute URI is supplied in an HTTP/1.0 request, and the proxy is not
enabled, Apache will remove the host portion and deliver the rest of the URL.
For example, if I do
$ telnet some-server 80
GET http://some-other-server/path/file

   then Apache will return /path/file on some-server (if it exists), or a 404
if it doesn't. Naturally, if proxies are enabled, then it should return
some-other-server/path/file.

   I believe it should return a 404 whether or not the file exists on the local
server. RFC 1945 (the HTTP/1.0 RFC) states:
5.1.2 Request-URI

   The Request-URI is a Uniform Resource Identifier (Section 3.2) and
   identifies the resource upon which to apply the request.

       Request-URI    = absoluteURI | abs_path

   The two options for Request-URI are dependent on the nature of the
   request.

   The absoluteURI form is only allowed when the request is being made
   to a proxy.

   (etc etc)

....which seems to indicate that absolute URIs should be refused altogether
unless the proxy is enabled. I don't know if it's necessary to go this far,
but certainly requests for anything on a host other than the local host should
probably be refused.

 .....Ron

>How-To-Repeat:
telnet www.apache.org 80
GET http://www.rhubarb.com
(Normal Apache home page is delivered)

Expected behaviour: 404 not found (or similar)
>Fix:
Not at this stage. I'm not very familiar with the Apache sources yet!