www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Larry Smith <l...@optonline.net>
Subject general/6504: Can't run Visual Basic program as CGI script
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 20:53:28 GMT

>Number:         6504
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Can't run Visual Basic program as CGI script
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
W98SE. Running the vanilla Win32 binary d/l from Apache.org. The only conf change was "ServerName
lrsapache" and (recently) "LogLevel debug".

Note - "lrsapache" (lrs=my initials) was used, but I don't have a permanent IP address. I
have a cable modem, but my ISP issues me a 3-day TCP/IP lease, and may change the IP address
at any time.
>From my original posting to comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows:

I've written a CGI program using Visual Basic, compiled into an .exe file.

The program works fine under PWS4 (W98SE), but fails totally under Apache 1.3.12.

I've tracked it down to the fact that when I issue the GetStdHandle() Win32
API call from my VB program to get a handle for stdout, I get back -1,
rather than a valid handle. Hence all my attempts to write to stdout fail,
and Apache rightfully complains.
>How-To-Repeat:
As noted above, I don't have a permanent IP address. However, I'm quite willing to send you
the source for the VB program, upon request.
>Fix:
Not a one!