www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Stefan <ste...@mtiv.com>
Subject mod_jserv/6480: Incomplete Documentation
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:25:05 GMT

>Number:         6480
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Incomplete Documentation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Sorry, I don't have time to get into more detail on this right now, but I wanted to quickly
bring this up so if anyone has time to look into this it might help the next people who come
along.

The documentation for the jserv install makes it appear that one can go to http://hostname/servlets/Hello
to test the install, without fist configuring all of the properties files. The zone properties
file, which has the essential location configuration of the servlets directory isn't very
clear. It isn't clear that one needs to copy the Hello example file into this directory to
get the example program to work. Additionally, I don't see any reason not to start people
off with /usr/local/apache/logs/logfilename as the default, since we already know apache has
permission to write there, and we can suspect there isn't already a jserv log that's going
to appear there. Having NONE/logs as the default only confuses matters. So that I could get
to see my log files before I knew what was going on, I actually created a NONE directory!

The documentation in the INSTALL is so clear right up until the end. If someone were to just
take a little longer to streamline this last bit, lots of time would be saved for us "end
users" out here.

Further comment: the documentation that appears after doing a configure, make and make install
of jserv says to go back to apache and do a "make and a make install" of apache actually should
say that one needs to go back and do a "configure --with.jserv.module" and then do the makes
and make installs. Because of the information the user has given at this point, you know where
the user is in their progress, and what they need to do or not do.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
see description