www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bernie <...@actrix.gen.nz>
Subject mod_jserv/6479: ServletException not logged when thrown from within init()
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:20:47 GMT

>Number:         6479
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       ServletException not logged when thrown from within init()
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
If a ServletException is thrown inside the init() method, then the output
of the exception is not logged anywhere at all.
This makes it very difficult to debug startup problems.
A very fundamental flaw that needs to be fixed urgently.
>How-To-Repeat:
in init():
throw new ServletException("Please log this somewhere")
>Fix:
On application level, a possible workaround may contain this:
config.getServletContext().log(ex, this.getClass().getName()
//where
//"config" is the config parameter of the init() method
//"this" is the servlet instance
//"ex" is a ServletException

As I said it is on application level and really only demonstrates
what kind of output would be expected in the log.