www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Paul A. Scott" <psc...@the-frontier.org>
Subject RE: mod_autoindex/6190 Autoindex fails to include HEADER and README files
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2000 02:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_autoindex/6190; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@the-frontier.org>
To: <boerm@u.washington.edu>
Cc: <apbugs@Apache.Org>
Subject: RE: mod_autoindex/6190 Autoindex fails to include HEADER and README files
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:29:33 -0700

 I must apologize for my previous message, as I used the wrong terms to
 describe the problem.  The truth is that FancyIndexing works regardless of
 MultiViews.

 It's the inclusion of the HEADER.html and README.html that doesn't work
 unless Option MultiViews is set. However, I've found that this isn't a bug,
 after all. It's a design feature! I quote directly from the configuration
 file:

 # ReadmeName is the name of the README file the server will look for by
 # default, and append to directory listings.
 #
 # HeaderName is the name of a file which should be prepended to
 # directory indexes.
 #
 # If MultiViews are amongst the Options in effect, the server will
 # first look for name.html and include it if found.  If name.html
 # doesn't exist, the server will then look for name.txt and include
 # it as plaintext if found.

 Now, I don't think appending .html should have anything at all to do with
 MultiViews, but there it is in black-and-white. Perhaps one of the
 developers can decide if this is better managed outside the MultiViews
 option, and if not, explain why. 'Cuz I don't get it.

 Paul