www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jon Ribbens <jon+apa...@unequivocal.co.uk>
Subject mod_auth-any/6414: check_user_access() does not check to see if this module is being used
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:33:48 GMT

>Number:         6414
>Category:       mod_auth-any
>Synopsis:       check_user_access() does not check to see if this module is being used
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
check_user_access() in mod_auth.c should have a line:

    if (!sec->auth_pwfile)
        return DECLINED;

at the top as per authenticate_basic_user(). Otherwise it is parsing the 'require' directive
for its particular mod_auth-specific syntax, and reporting it as a fatal error if it does
not understand it, even if the web author is not using mod_auth in this directory. (Since
'authoritative' defaults to 'on'.)
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a new module which implements a new auth type which uses a require directive other
than 'valid-user', 'user' and 'group'. Observe that it cannot be used due to mod_auth reporting
it as a bad require directive even though mod_auth should not be sticking its nose in.

Actually I noticed this when writing a auth module based on mod_auth which implemented *less*
require directives (it does not allow 'group'). It stopped 'require group' working for mod_auth
directories.
>Fix:
Add the line as described above to mod_auth.c. Fix all other auth modules. Tell everyone who
has written a 3rd-party auth module based on mod_auth to fix their code too.