www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bernhard Haumacher <ha...@gmx.de>
Subject mod_jserv/6406: Fault tolerance when initializing servlet zones in the servlet engine
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:59:19 GMT

>Number:         6406
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Fault tolerance when initializing servlet zones in the servlet engine
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
If there is an error in a single servlet zone initialization file, or
if the classpath directory of one zone is not available, the servlet
engine does not start. This is not tolerable in an environment where
many users are responsible for their own servlet zones. If one of them
corrupts its servlet zone properties file or deletes the classpath of
his servlet zone, he corrupts the whole servlet engine. Such a
scenario will make the server administrator mad.
>How-To-Repeat:
Add a servlet zone to jserv.properties with a properties file that
does not exist, or create a zone properties file with a classpath
directory that does not exist.
>Fix:
The servlet zones must be initialized lazily upon a request for that
zone is discovered. If this initialization fails, the request fails,
but other zones that are okay will still work. A nice additional
feature in such a lazy zone initialization scenario would be a servlet
zone status page that tells the administrator which zones are actually
up and working.

I'm willing to help implementing/fixing that, but I not sure, where to
start. The handling of the servlet zones is handled in Java in
ApacheJServ.jar? I would appreciate some advice or comment. Maybe if
have overlooked something or this approach might entail some other
problems.