www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: general/6318: Apache 2.0a4 segfaults on config file syntax error
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:38:19 GMT
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Adam J. Richter wrote:

> >This problem is due to the ClearModuleList/AddModule directives
> >in your config file.  If those are removed, this config file
> >will not cause a seg fault.
>
> >We are currently discussing if those directives are really
> >necessary in 2.0 or not.
>
> I think you may understanding thish already, but I will say this just
> to be clear.  I was not claiming that it was a valid config file for 2.0,
> just that your code should not segfault when it tries to print the syntax
> error message.  So, I think you should apply the patch that I submitted
> or make some similar fix.  Thanks for advice anyhow.

I probably wasn't clear myself.  The code for parsing a config file does
actually work, the only time we really have a problem is with the
ClearModuleList and AddModule directives.  If those directives are
removed, this problem will go away.  The problem, is that those directives
are being run before the data they need is actually created.

I believe that we could solve this by making those directives not
EXEC_ON_READ, but I need to look into this whole problem more.

You are 100% correct, we can't seg fault while reading the config
file.  The question now is what is the best way to solve it, remove the
directives (which may not be needed) or fix the directives.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131