www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Justin Shore <macda...@vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu>
Subject mod_userdir/6244: UserDir doesn't like directories starting with a period
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:52:03 GMT

>Number:         6244
>Category:       mod_userdir
>Synopsis:       UserDir doesn't like directories starting with a period
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jun 26 16:00:01 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     macdaddy@vinnie.ksu.ksu.edu
>Release:        1.3.12
1.3.9 and before (if I recall correctly) allowed me to do this:

  UserDir .html

That's what someone decided to use here at K-State and I kinda liked that myself so I decided
to stick with it.  I compiled 1.3.11 a while back and /~userid websites instantly broke.
The error_log reported this:

  client denied by server configuration: /home/macdaddy/.html

The machine was only used by myself and a few others at the time so I didn't give it much
thought.  I tried 1.3.12 today and had the same trouble.  After talking with a friend and
trying somethings we finally found the problem.  In 1.3.11 an 12 UserDir can not start with
a period:

  UserDir .html        fails everytime
  UserDir bob          works like a champ
  UserDir public_html  also works like a champ
>How-To-Repeat:
Just assign this:

  UserDir .html

and move a user's website to that directory, try accessing that user's website, and you'll
see the "Forbidden" error.
>Fix:
Compare how UserDir is handled in 1.3.9 and 1.3.12 and see what's different.  I searched for
UserDir on your main site and found another syntax that would probably work here (note: I
haven't tried it yet):

/home/*/.html

I tried putting quotes around .html to no avail.  It's a trivial thing but I know a # of people
that have had trouble because of it.