www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Wes Hardaker <wjharda...@ucdavis.edu>
Subject mod_perl/6215: perlAccessHandler locks all other requests
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:49:41 GMT

>Number:         6215
>Category:       mod_perl
>Synopsis:       perlAccessHandler locks all other requests
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Jun 20 09:50:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu
>Release:        3.1.12
Internally to our environment, we have a mod_perl based access handler the details of which
aren't important.

With apache 3.1.12 (3.1.9 didn't exhibit the problem) when the access handler is enabled the
web server does not process other incoming requests until the first is finished downloading
the file in question.  This is extremely bad if you're trying to server some very large files
protected by an access handler, as all future clients aren't able to see anything (files,
html, etc) beyond the access handler until the first request has either fully downloaded the
file in question or they've hit cancel.

Even a really simple access handler:

sub handler {
return OK;
}

exhibits this behavior.
>How-To-Repeat:
See full description.

PerlModule access.pm
<Location /blah>
PerlAccessHandler access
</Location>

access.pm:
package accesss;
use Apache::Constants qw(OK);

sub handler {
  return OK;
}

put a large file in blah and start downloading it, and then in another window try to download
any other file in blah before the large file download finishes.
>Fix:
I wish.