www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Kevin DeSilva <ere...@bigpond.com>
Subject mod_jserv/6136: System Date does not work correctly on servlets
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:05:34 GMT

>Number:         6136
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       System Date does not work correctly on servlets
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    jserv
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jun 01 04:10:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     eresha@bigpond.com
>Release:        1.3.12
For some reason apache jserv does not appear to get the system date correctly.
The following line of code in my servlet.

Date curDate = new Date();

incorrectly reports yesterday's date until 10.00am after which it switches over to the correct
date. For example if today is 31/5/00 the date reported in the class Date curDate = new Date()
is 30/5/00 (until 10.00am). At first, I thought this may be a problem with my standard JVM
installation so I tested a normal java application which works fine. Therefore, I guess, it
must be something to do with JVM startup initialisation that mod_jserv does.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try the following line of code in any servlet:

Date curDate = new Date();
System.out.println(curDate);
>Fix:
The problem must be to do with the way the JVM starts up (ie.timezone settings)-but the documentation
does not help in fixing this apparent bug.