www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Chuck Conover <ccono...@mmxi.com>
Subject general/6109: Apache dies, too many open files in error log
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 13:48:16 GMT

>Number:         6109
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache dies, too many open files in error log
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue May 23 06:50:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     cconover@mmxi.com
>Release:        1.3.12
I am running apache 1.3.12 on solaris 2.7
Once every 4 hours (cron) I move the apache logs and then send a kill -USR1 <apache pid>
command to apache to recycle them. I then archive the logs. After about a week apache stops
responding and the message in the error log says too many open files Accept: (client socket)
I tried raising the file descriptor limit but that just makes it last a bit longer. Sound
like a leak maybe or something is wrong with the kill command. This wasnt posted on the news
group, I tried but had problems with deja (sorry)
>How-To-Repeat:
Run apache 1.3.12 and send a kill -USR1 <apache pid> every minute. Should stop responding
in about an hour
>Fix:
Maybe use a different signal in the kill command