www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Beauregard <chris.beaureg...@ec.gc.ca>
Subject os-hpux/6104: Apache regcomp()/regexec() collision with libc
Date Fri, 19 May 2000 18:58:50 GMT

>Number:         6104
>Category:       os-hpux
>Synopsis:       Apache regcomp()/regexec() collision with libc
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Priority:       medium
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Fri May 19 12:00:01 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     chris.beauregard@ec.gc.ca
>Release:        1.3.9
>Organization:
apache
>Environment:
HP-UX metweb0 B.11.00 U 9000/800 2008361008 unlimited-user license
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
>Description:
I spent about a week trying to track this one down...

The regcomp in apache overrides the libc version. This is fine, but when my
mod_perl module loads in a shared library that uses regcomp/regexec, things
get weird. Deep down in the chain of libraries, I do:
	regcomp(preg,workbuf,REG_EXTENDED|REG_ICASE|REG_NOSUB)
which calls the Apache version. This is fine, except that after running
though cpp, it looks like
	regcomp(preg,workbuf,1|4|8),
which, to the Apache version, means
	regcomp(preg,workbuf,REG_EXTENDED|REG_NOSUB)

This sucks for those of us expecting REG_ICASE to actually work.

I checked the 2.0a3 source and the regex stuff is about the same, so the bug
will likely be there as well.
>How-To-Repeat:
Basically, you need to create a shared library that is compiled outside of the
Apache/mod_perl/perl family and link to it from, say, an Apache module.
Any kind of regcomp() that uses ICASE will then be bogus.
>Fix:
Renaming the Apache regex stuff to avoid the name clash would be optimal.

A cheaper fix would be to just change the values of the REG_* macros, but since,
for example, Linux uses 0x2 for REG_ICASE, this would break other platforms.

To (hack, hack) fix our code, I just added a REG_NEWLINE (which has a value of
2), since I don't care about newline expansion.

It's possible that linking libc to the original shared library would work, but
I have quite a number of shared libs that user regex calls, so it would be major
bloat.
>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 [In order for any reply to be added to the PR database, you need]
 [to include <apbugs@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]
 [subject line starts with the report component and number, with ]
 [or without any 'Re:' prefixes (such as "general/1098:" or      ]
 ["Re: general/1098:").  If the subject doesn't match this       ]
 [pattern, your message will be misfiled and ignored.  The       ]
 ["apbugs" address is not added to the Cc line of messages from  ]
 [the database automatically because of the potential for mail   ]
 [loops.  If you do not include this Cc, your reply may be ig-   ]
 [nored unless you are responding to an explicit request from a  ]
 [developer.  Reply only with text; DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS!     ]
 
 


Mime
View raw message