www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Markus Peter <warp-apa...@spin.de>
Subject mod_proxy/6040: New feature: mod_proxy should pass on original IP
Date Mon, 01 May 2000 15:22:05 GMT

>Number:         6040
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       New feature: mod_proxy should pass on original IP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon May 01 08:30:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     warp-apache@spin.de
>Release:        1.3.12
I'd like an option in mod_proxy so that when I use it with ProxyPass it sends the current
REMOTE_ADDR to the mirrored server in a freely choosable HTTP Header, so that the server which
is really handling the request knows where the request really came from.

Let me explain our situation: We're having a setup with two different Apache's, one mod_perl'ed,
the other one not. We like to send certain requests from the normal server to the mod_perl'ed
server on another machine. Unfortunately we lose the original IP in the process. A setup in
which we simply run the mod_perl server on the same machine is unfortunately impossible.
>How-To-Repeat:
no problem - enhancement request
>Fix:
A new configuration directive: e.g.:
ProxyPass /foo http//www.foo.com/bar/
ProxyPassIP Original_IP
will add the current REMOTE_ADDR as header
Original_IP: ${REMOTE_ADDR}
to all proxy requests eg. to the request to www.foo.com/bar/