www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Murtari <jmurt...@thebook.com>
Subject os-linux/6026: Very poor CGI performance from 1.3.x Apache compared to 1.2.5
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:08:40 GMT

>Number:         6026
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       Very poor CGI performance from 1.3.x Apache compared to 1.2.5
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Apr 25 10:10:01 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     jmurtari@thebook.com
>Release:        1.3.12
>Environment:
Linux lathe.thebook.com 2.2.14am #1 SMP Thu Apr 6 12:25:00 EDT 2000 i686

System is Redhat 6.0 w/ kernel 2.2.14 SMP.  Dual P II 300, 256 meg ram
we are running 20 servers at start up ( 5 minspare/20 maxspare
- 80 max clients).

After compiling the new apache with the following mods:
httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_php3.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/etc/httpd/bin/suexec
Using a simple perl script which just prints the $ENV variables, we are
calling ab with :
    ab -n10000 -c10 http://torch/cgi-bin/thebook/printenv.pl
--
Apache 1.3.12 runs much slower - only 26 requests/second,
compared to 168 requests/second under 1.2.5.

We are a web hosting provider with fairly busy servers and this is significant
enough to 'scare' us.  Performance on static HTML was about the same.

Full details below:

ab -n10000 -c10 http://torch.thebook.com:8080/cgi-
bin/thebook/printenv.pl

Server Software:        Apache/1.2.5
Server Hostname:        torch
Server Port:            8080

Document Path:          /cgi-bin/thebook/printenv.pl
Document Length:        399 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   59.509 seconds
Complete requests:      10000
Failed requests:        0
Non-2xx responses:      10000
Total transferred:      5400000 bytes
HTML transferred:       3990000 bytes
Requests per second:    168.04
Transfer rate:          90.74 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0  2999
Processing:     5    58   133
Total:          5    58  3132

=======================
Apache 1.3.12 runs much slower - only 26 requests/second,
compared to 168 requests/second under 1.2.5.

Server Software:        Apache/1.3.12
Server Hostname:        torch.
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /cgi-bin/thebook/printenv.pl
Document Length:        667 bytes

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   379.967 seconds
Complete requests:      10000
Failed requests:        0
Total transferred:      8086464 bytes
HTML transferred:       6675336 bytes
Requests per second:    26.32
Transfer rate:          21.28 kb/s received

Connnection Times (ms)
              min   avg   max
Connect:        0     0    68
Processing:    35   379  1196
Total:         35   379  1264

>How-To-Repeat:
See above, just compare 1.2.5 with 1.3.12 on call printenv cgi script.

The time difference it SO large, there must be something crazy going on --
but could really hurt apache in review benchmarks!
>Fix:
We are getting ready to do a profile and see where all the time is
being spent. Because the difference is so large, something should stand out.