www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Ted Keller <kel...@bfg.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy/5972: Proxy cannot connect to many IIS 4.0 sites
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:30:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_proxy/5972; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ted Keller <keller@bfg.com>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: Apache bugs database <apbugs@apache.org>
Subject: Re: mod_proxy/5972: Proxy cannot connect to many IIS 4.0 sites
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:22:21 -0400 (EDT)

 Marc,

 Restored buff.c to original mode.  Turned off http 1.1 processing in the
 browser.  Hit support.dell.com site - browser appears to die (were back to
 using default timeouts).

 Netstat -n reports
 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.59939  143.166.82.190.80    17152      0 64240      0
 ESTABLISHED

 all other connections to that site are in a FIN_WAIT mode.

 With the buff.c modification, and http 1.1 support turned off, performance
 improves to near acceptable. However, we still wait for the connection to
 close which never does until the short timeout is reached.

 Direct connections show this pages loads in about 2 seconds.
 With the "fix" page loads in about 30 seconds
 Without the "fix" page fails to load.

 Obviously I like the 2 second loads....

 On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Marc Slemko wrote:

 > On 14 Apr 2000, Ted Keller wrote:
 >
 > > The following reply was made to PR mod_proxy/5972; it has been noted by GNATS.
 > >
 > > From: Ted Keller <keller@bfg.com>
 > > To: submit@bugz.apache.org, apache-bugdb@apache.org
 > > Subject: Re: mod_proxy/5972: Proxy cannot connect to many IIS 4.0 sites
 > > Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 18:17:41 -0400 (EDT)
 > >
 > >  Further investigations have shown the following....
 > >
 > >  1. All pages that are failing are http 1.1 type pages.
 > >
 > >  2. IE5 has an option, Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections, which, if
 > >  checked, seems to help.  Note - netscape 4 does not have an equivalent
 > >  selectable feature.
 >
 > What if you disable all HTTP/1.1 support in IE?
 >

 > >  3. A modification in buff.c as follows... forces "short" timeouts for
 > >  sites that do NOT close connections at the end of a block transmission.
 > >  The modification below set this to 8 seconds - this should really be a
 > >  configurable parameter.
 > >
 > >  With these, we are starting to see acceptable performance for these "bad"
 > >  sites.
 >
 > Refresh my memory; can you give me a URL that exhibits this problem?

 support.dell.com

 We have also seen this on...

 www.bell.ca
 www.winntmag.com