www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From "Mark Claassen" <...@donnell.com>
Subject RE: general/5987: Hundreds of sockets in CLOSE_WAIT state
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:20:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/5987; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Mark Claassen" <mac@donnell.com>
To: "Marc Slemko" <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: <submit@bugz.apache.org>
Subject: RE: general/5987: Hundreds of sockets in CLOSE_WAIT state
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:19:19 -0500

 Sorry, when I saw it was 8007, I should have immediately put it together
 that this was a jserv issue.

 I realize that TIME_WAIT is a normal thing, but while doing testing we have
 seen hundreds of these.  Imagine having a web site that was constantly
 accessed; it would be possible to use all the ports up.  (Unless the OS is
 smart enough to grab some of these first.)

 I am running a test now which is putting the servlet under a moderate load.
 The number of ports in the TIME_WAIT state now is stabilizing at about 2500.
 That seems pretty high.