www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Cathy Murphy <camur...@apcc.com>
Subject mod_jserv/5966: Stopping Apache service does not stop Apache JServ properly.
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:01:51 GMT

>Number:         5966
>Category:       mod_jserv
>Synopsis:       Stopping Apache service does not stop Apache JServ properly.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    jserv
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Apr 06 08:10:01 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     camurphy@apcc.com
>Release:        1.3.9
Stopping Apache service does not stop Apache JServ properly.
Destroy method of servlet is never called when Apache JServ is running autoload with the Apache
Service on Windows NT.  This is true whether Apache is started as a service or from the command
line.  (to start: apache then to stop: apache -k shutdown.)

The following scenario correctly called the destroy mehtod:
(1) Apache JServ is not run in autoload.  It is started from comman line java org.apache.jserv.JServ
(2) Apache JServ is stopped from the command line java org.apache.jserv.JServ -s ...

This happens with 1.1 of JServ as well.

This may be a problem with JServ but the JServ bug submission request form rejected the bug
submission because of blank fields - I checked and couldn't find the problem with the form.
 Please forward to the proper group if necessary.
>How-To-Repeat:
Enable logging.  Stop and start the Apache service with Apache JServ autoloaded on Windows
NT.  Check the logs on the exit and you'll notice that nothing related to shutdown appears
in the jserv.log.
>Fix:
I'm not really sure here.  I looked into the code a little bit and this is what I came up
with.  When JServ is stopped properly (scenario #2 above), a "terminate" signal is sent over
the AJP and received by Apache JServ.  This does not appear to happen when Apache stops because
the registered cleanup method for the module is the jserv_exit method which does not produce
the same cleanup path as "terminate".