www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From aj reznor ...@reznor.com>
Subject general/5958: httpd doesnt start (or stay running).
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 00:18:26 GMT

>Number:         5958
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       httpd doesnt start (or stay running).
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Apr 04 17:20:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     aj@reznor.com
>Release:        1.3.9
>Environment:
This machine runs Slackware 7.0, Walnut Creek distro.  I have installed a few other systems
using this same CD with no problems.

Linux www 2.2.13 #2 Mon Apr 3 18:29:15 PDT 2000 i686 unknown

Following the same procedure I have done on several other boxes:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
make
make install

This will normally generate a fine, functioning apache server for me.
I have not modified any of the conf files, also typical for how I begin an install.
This time, for some reason, all compiles and installs fine, but when I run 'apachectl start'
I receive output that the server has successfully started.  However, 'ps ax' doesn't show
any httpd running (there should be a parent and 5 children), and if i issues a 'apachectl
stop' it tells me that the PID cannot be found. Trying to connect to the machine with lynx
also does not work.
>How-To-Repeat:
Sorry, not working :(
>Fix: