www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Brian Neal <br...@aceshardware.com>
Subject Re: general/5838: HTTPD becomes unresponsive
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:08:18 GMT

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> Hmm, given that this is not seen on identical hardware/OS combinations
> under serious load there migh be more. Just to cut down the playground
> to a managable size:
>
> 0.	Is it a specific page or URL which it always hangs on ?
> 1.	What sun patches did you (already) apply
> 2.	What mdoules have you compiled in ?
> 3.	If you do 'truss -p XXX' or 'gdb -p XXX' on
> 	the offending process what is it doing ?
> 4.	Are any of your (log) files on NFS ?
> 5.	Are you using (nis(+))
> 6.	What other services are you running on that
> 	machine ? Do they have the same issue.

I neglected to mention that I'm also using PHP.  After spending some
serious time looking through their bug database and mailing lists, I am
beginning to suspect this is the culprit.  There are plenty of reports of
various memory leaks, etc. in the database.  In the meantime, I have
installed 1.3.12 w/ a new version of PHP to see what happens.

> From your msg it is unclear wether or not you are looking
> for commercial support. The web page will give you a list
> of companies happily doing this.

Yeah...that's what I was thinking about...I will check out the page.

Thanks,

-Brian Neal
Webmaster, Ace's Hardware
http://www.aceshardware.com/

> Dw
>
> On 7 Mar 2000, Brian Neal wrote:
>

> > >Number:         5838
> > >Category:       general
> > >Synopsis:       HTTPD becomes unresponsive
> > >Confidential:   no
> > >Severity:       non-critical
> > >Responsible:    apache
> > >State:          open
> > >Class:          sw-bug
> > >Submitter-Id:   apache
> > >Arrival-Date:   Mon Mar 06 21:20:00 PST 2000
> > >Closed-Date:
> > >Last-Modified:
> > >Originator:     brian@aceshardware.com
> > >Release:        1.3.11
> >
> > The httpd process doesn't die, but given time, apache will stop accepting requests.
 This happens on an almost regular basis and I can't hardly turn my back on this software.
 I kill/restart the process nightly, but that doesn't always seem to prevent this from happening.
 I don't know if it's an issue with Apache or Sun's TCP/IP implementation or what, but I am
wondering at this point if I would not be better off to go with a commercial solution with
support, etc.
> > >How-To-Repeat:
> > Start up Apache on a similar config.  I'm not entirely sure it's reproducable, but
assuming it's a memory leak somewhere, it should be.