www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: general/5838: HTTPD becomes unresponsive
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:53:25 GMT

Hmm, given that this is not seen on identical hardware/OS combinations
under serious load there migh be more. Just to cut down the playground
to a managable size:

0.	Is it a specific page or URL which it always hangs on ?
1.	What sun patches did you (already) apply
2.	What mdoules have you compiled in ?
3.	If you do 'truss -p XXX' or 'gdb -p XXX' on
	the offending process what is it doing ?
4.	Are any of your (log) files on NFS ?
5.	Are you using (nis(+))
6.	What other services are you running on that
	machine ? Do they have the same issue.

>From your msg it is unclear wether or not you are looking
for commercial support. The web page will give you a list
of companies happily doing this.

Dw

On 7 Mar 2000, Brian Neal wrote:

> >Number:         5838
> >Category:       general
> >Synopsis:       HTTPD becomes unresponsive
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       non-critical
> >Responsible:    apache
> >State:          open
> >Class:          sw-bug
> >Submitter-Id:   apache
> >Arrival-Date:   Mon Mar 06 21:20:00 PST 2000
> >Closed-Date:
> >Last-Modified:
> >Originator:     brian@aceshardware.com
> >Release:        1.3.11
>
> The httpd process doesn't die, but given time, apache will stop accepting requests.
This happens on an almost regular basis and I can't hardly turn my back on this software.
 I kill/restart the process nightly, but that doesn't always seem to prevent this from happening.
 I don't know if it's an issue with Apache or Sun's TCP/IP implementation or what, but I am
wondering at this point if I would not be better off to go with a commercial solution with
support, etc.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Start up Apache on a similar config.  I'm not entirely sure it's reproducable, but assuming
it's a memory leak somewhere, it should be.