www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David McNab <da...@rebirthing.co.nz>
Subject mod_cgi/5946: Strange cursor flickering and delay in loading when running CGI perl scripts under ActiveState Debugger
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:31:25 GMT

>Number:         5946
>Category:       mod_cgi
>Synopsis:       Strange cursor flickering and delay in loading when running CGI perl scripts
under ActiveState Debugger
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Mar 30 18:40:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     david@rebirthing.co.nz
>Release:        1.3
Apache in every other respect is working great!
But when I run a CGI script under the ActiveState Perl debugger (via '#!perl -d' at top of
cgi script), longer scripts (>100 lines) take a long time to load into the debugger. In
the meantime, there is a crazy flickering of the mouse pointer.
The longer the cgi script, the longer it takes for the flickering to settle down and the debugger
to become usable.

This problem does not manifest when using the Xitami server (though I don't want to switch
back to Xitami because it is so limited in other ways).

>How-To-Repeat:
Install ActivePerl for Win32.
Install ActivePerl software development kit (includes Perl Debugger).
Edit the '#!' line at the top one of your test cgi scripts (choose a longer script with 300-1000
lines), and put '-d' after 'perl', so invoking the script will launch it under the perl debugger
Open a browser, and invoke the cgi script.
Notice the flickering of the mouse cursor, and observe that the debugger stays inaccessible
for anything from several seconds to several minutes.
>Fix:
No, sorry