www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From -p- <and...@izone.hu>
Subject Re: general/5908: IE 5 hangs on a request or returns with an error-- caused by a incomplete request header
Date Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:30:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/5908; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: -p- <andras@izone.hu>
To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: general/5908: IE 5 hangs on a request or returns with an error--
 caused by a incomplete request header
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:23:50 +0100

 > What does this have to do with Apache?
 > marcs@alive:~$ telnet www.centrumonline.hu 80
 > Trying 212.92.3.19...
 > Connected to www.centrumonline.hu.
 > Escape character is '^]'.
 > HEAD /Sport/ HTTP/1.0
 > Host: www.centrumonline.hu
 >
 > HTTP/1.0 200 OK
 > Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
 > Don't you just hate it when people only tell half the story?

 Sorry, I a part of the story is indeed missing, that's true (although I already figured out
that the problem is not there, but see below). So here's
 the whole picture:
 - www.centrumonline.hu uses a ProxyPass (and ProxyPassReverse) to fetch data from an NT IIS
server that is hidden from the outside world.
 - still, the problem is not with its proxying, as there is a local server with local files
running on http://pix.centrumonline.hu. You can test it with
 http://pix.centrumonline.hu/coimages/banner.gif -- downloading that fails sometimes with
the problem I described in the original, too.

 If you go to the site (www.centrumonline.hu, that is) with an image-capable browser, the
images will come off of the native Apache web server -- and
 indeed, randomly the images fail to download, too, thus I think the problem lies in Apache
receiving incorrect request headers, and not in the proxy
 module (I originally suspected the NT IIS, but since the server is temporarily available
under www.centrumonline.hu:8080 with a direct, kernel-level
 forwarding, and browsing that produces no errors whatsoever, that option is out of the picture).

 Also, as you can see from the attached error message (Bad method or whatever, see above),
the error occurs at the Apache side even when there would
 proxying -- but this request never even gets to the proxy module.

 Sorry for inconvenience. Hope it helps to clear up the picture. If you need the config file,
I can post it.

 -p