www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Leroy Melvin <luna...@hotmail.com>
Subject config/5895: Any other port number besides 80, doesn't seem to work.
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:22:40 GMT

>Number:         5895
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Any other port number besides 80, doesn't seem to work.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Mar 17 07:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     lunaxis@hotmail.com
>Release:        v1.3.12 win32
My ISP doesn't allow setting up servers with port numbers under 1000.  Therefore everything
I set up has a port number higher than 1000.  This worked fine for my FTP server and other
stuff I ran.
Apache HTTP however seems to trip over this.  If I run it at port 80, all sis fine (at least
'local').  People connected to the net not by the same ISP cannot see this page, which is
normal, because all ports under 1000 aren't allowed as I already said.  Now, changing the
port number to a number othen than 80 makes the web server completely not functioning !  Not
even local !  I don't get an error msg, the browser (IE5.01, latest) doesn't seem to be able
to find it.  Even the http://127.0.0.1 doesn't work.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Well, I'm not really a programmer, so I'm not able to make decent changes in the included
source code and compile it.  Sorry... .