www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Bill Richardson <bill.richard...@laughlin.af.mil>
Subject general/5851: User Authentication "It works but not in every situation"
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2000 03:20:02 GMT

>Number:         5851
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       User Authentication "It works but not in every situation"
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          support
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Mar 09 19:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     bill.richardson@laughlin.af.mil
>Release:        1.3.9
I have read the doc's inside and out. And cant seem to find any one that has the
same problem that I see with user authentication.

Using the example at http://www.apacheweek.com/features/userauth    I can
get a login prompt and all works fine. Fine for say one directory or one
file. But if I want to restrict access to the whole web site IE the .htaccess
file in at the root of the web server. I get multiple logon requests every time
i go from one html doc to the next on the same web server.

Again all works fine if I set the directory to

<Directory /home/httpd/html/doc>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options None
</Directory>

then place my .htaccess file in the directory "/home/httpd/html/doc"
and that will work fine. I will be asked for a user name and password just
once.. The problem I have is multiple sub directorys that need to be protected
from the root down.

If i do the following:

<Directory /home/httpd/html>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options None
</Directory>
And place the .htaccess file in the root of the web page /home/httpd/html
now I will see multiple login windows that will popup. This happens when I use
netscape or IE. I have this problem on 3 of my Web servers. One of them
is used for Computer Based Training (CBT) the other 2 I have setup for Big Brother
the Real nice Network monitoring tool. On all the above Apache web servers I have the
same problem..

I hope that I missed something simple? Thanks for your help and time..
>How-To-Repeat:
I have only tried this on a Redhat 6.1 intel. So if you have Redhat6.1 with
apache give it a try...
>Fix:
No clue?