www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Axel Beckert <a...@dagstuhl.de>
Subject mod_alias/5847: Redirect 410 (Gone)causes segfault when custom error document contains SSI include statement
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2000 07:12:09 GMT

>Number:         5847
>Category:       mod_alias
>Synopsis:       Redirect 410 (Gone)causes segfault when custom error document contains
SSI include statement
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Mar 08 23:20:01 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     axel@dagstuhl.de
>Release:        1.3.9, 1.3.12
I've got the following error documents configured:

ErrorDocument 401 /error/Unauth
ErrorDocument 403 /error/Forbidden
ErrorDocument 404 /error/NotFound
ErrorDocument 410 /error/Gone
ErrorDocument 500 /error/ServerError

Alias /error/ "/home/HTTP/WWW/ErrorTemplates/"

<Directory "/home/HTTP/WWW/ErrorTemplates">
	Options FollowSymLinks Includes Multiviews -Indexes
	AddHandler server-parsed .html
	AllowOverride None
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>

The directory /home/HTTP/WWW/ErrorTemplates/ contains beneath other files:

Forbidden.de.html Forbidden.en.html Gone.de.html Gone.en.html
NotFound.de.html NotFound.en.html ServerError.de.html
ServerError.en.html Unauth.de.html Unauth.en.html

They *all* contain the following SSI include statements:

<!--#include file="top.de.html" -->
<!--#include file="contact.de.html" -->
<!--#include file="bottom.de.html" -->

respective

<!--#include file="top.en.html" -->
<!--#include file="contact.en.html" -->
<!--#include file="bottom.en.html" -->

and they all work fine except Gone.{de,en}.html, there I get always an
empty document (also no headers no status line, etc) and a line
containing "[notice] child pid <pid> exit signal Segmentation fault
(11)" in the error log file. When commenting out the above mentioned
lines (by replacing "<!--#" with "<!-- #"), everything works fine
(except that the commented includes do not work :-).

So I tried configuring

ErrorDocument 410 /error/NotFound
ErrorDocument 404 /error/Gone

which resulted in 404s working and showing Gone.{de,en}.html and 410s
still not working. So this error is *not* caused by the documents
itself, but by something weird, which must have to do something with
the 410 code in mod_alias and server-parsed documents.

[BTW: There was no core dump.]
Non-working 410: http://www.dagstuhl.de/prog.e.95
Working 404: http://www.dagstuhl.de/foobar
Working 403: http://www.dagstuhl.de/.htaccess