www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Harald Falkenberg <hfal...@x4u.desy.de>
Subject general/5843: Token (pag-no.) problem during server access to files in AFS
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2000 14:27:48 GMT

>Number:         5843
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Token (pag-no.) problem during server access to files in AFS
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Mar 08 06:30:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     hfalken@x4u.desy.de
>Release:        13.11
Our apache is running in an AFS envrionment. Before starting the server a token is generated
with 'klog -setpag' -> then the server is started by 'apachectl start';
After a while we encounter access fobidden messages (403) due to problems of some server processes
getting access to files in AFS. A reload sometimes helps, sometimes not. It looks like that
the processes (perhaps only new forked processes) run into trouble. The amount of processes
which loose access increase, so after a while new start is necessary and all runs very properly
for a while again.
AFS reqires in the group list two 'pag numbers' to handle the access to AFS files. Is it possible
that apache forks processes in different ways, so that some new processes loose this group
list entries? It is magically, that a new started server run very properly.
May affect 'startservers' or 'min/max sprare servers' the way processes are forked?
Is there a way to log the process envrionment after it is frresh forked?