www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From David Pierre <davidp...@yahoo.com>
Subject general/5801: JServ will not accept large amounts of name/vaule pairs using the POST method.
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:07:22 GMT

>Number:         5801
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       JServ will not accept large amounts of name/vaule pairs using the POST
method.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 22 15:10:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     davidpier@yahoo.com
>Release:        1.3.9 + JServ1.1
I am running in to something strange when receiving large amounts of name value pairs from
a Html form
        using a POST method.  It seems the Apache JServ has some limit for the amount of name/value
pairs it can receive.
	I would expect this type of behavior when using the GET method but not the POST. Let me back
up by saying
	that our development webserver (Java Web Server) runs the code just fine it's only with JServ
where the
	problem arises.  My question is do you know of any configuration file in JServ or Apache
that limits a POST
	request maybe for security reason, or do you know of any way to have the "HTTPRequest" object
of a
	Servlet force the webserver to accept any length of an request. It seems very strange that
this type of restriction
	would be the default behavior of the Apache JServ.
                This is a database app, the test data which in our case is a very small compared
to the real world. In any case the test data
                we are using in the Html from is comprised of (10 name/vaule pairs) * 24 entries
= 240 name/values total.  The problem
                that arises is our array which is being filled by the "HttpServletRequest.getParameterValues()"
is only receiving half
                the name/value pairs. Now before you say the array is not large enough keep
in mind the are no exception thrown and
                it works perfectly on the Java Web Server.

>How-To-Repeat:
Create a Html form with over 200 name/value pairs. Create a servlet which needs
to recieve all name/vaule pairs using the "HttpServletRequest.getParameterValues()" method.
>Fix:
If there is some type of limit in which Apache recieves POST data this is
incorrect. The GET method should be limited not POST, acording to CGI and
Servlet standards.